Bringing Pets into Mexico

Requirements for bringing pets into Mexico

If you plan to take your pet into Mexico or import one on your return to the United States, please get a copy of the CBP brochure Pets and Wildlife. You should also check with state, county and local Mexican Consulates to learn if their restrictions and prohibitions. Importing animals is closely regulated for public health reasons and also for the well being of the animals. There are restrictions and prohibitions on bringing many species into the United States. Document and Quarantine Requirements.

  • USDA import permit (VS Form17-129)
  • Current Health Certificate issued by a full-time salaried veterinarian of the agency responsible for animal health of the national government in the exporting country of origin
  • 30-day Quarantine in an USDA Animal Import Center
  • Fish and Wildlife Services Certification (if necessary)

Bringing Cats into Mexico

Cats must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans when they are examined at the port of entry. If the cat does not seem to be in good health, the owner may have to pay for an additional examination by a licensed veterinarian. As a rule, both cats and dogs must be free of fleas and ticks, and have a health certificate that was issued by the country of residence.

Bringing Dogs into Mexico

Dogs must also be free of evidence of diseases that could be communicable to humans. Puppies must be confined at a place of the owner’s choosing, which can be a private residence, until they are three months old and then they must be vaccinated against rabies. The puppy will then have to stay in confinement for another 30 days following the vaccination. Dogs older than three months that have never been vaccinated for rabies must get a rabies vaccination at least 30 days before they come to the United States and must be accompanied by a valid rabies vaccination certificate if coming from a country that is not rabies free. This certificate should identify the dog, show the date of vaccination, the date it expires (there are one-year and three-year vaccinations), and be signed by a licensed veterinarian. If the certificate does not have an expiration date, CBP will accept it as long as the dog was vaccinated 12 months or less before coming to the United States. Dogs coming from rabies free countries do not have to be vaccinated. You should start to prepare documentation and inoculations at least one month before visiting Mexico:

  • If you don’t already have one, get a pet identification tag for your dog. It should have your dog’s name, your name and phone number. Consider using a cell phone number, a home number, and possible the number of where you will be staying.
  • Get a first aid kit for your dog. The kits are usually available at a pet store, a veterinary office or on the Internet.
  • Get a first aid kit for your dog. The kits are usually available at a pet store, a veterinary office or on the Internet.
  • A current rabies tag for your dog’s collar. Also get paperwork with proof of the rabies vaccine

Bringing Birds and other Common Pets into Mexico

Birds may be imported as pets as long as you comply with APHIS and U.S. Fish and Wildlife requirements. Other common pets such as rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs may be imported if they are in good health. The importation of reptiles and invertebrates is restricted; please contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for additional guidance. Contact APHIS for additional information.

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a service. its agents and affiliations assume no liability for any reliance on information provided. Policies and information change constantly. For up to date information consult with your local Consulate or Embassy. No attorney – client relationship is intended or created by this information.